Terms and conditions
The University of Waterloo reserves the right to modify, update or alter these Terms and Conditions at any time and your continued use of the site constitutes your agreement to comply with such modifications.
1. We may contact anyone who has registered for or logged in to the Alumni E-Community with information pertaining specifically to use of the E-Community, even if they have opted out of other general communications from the Office of Advancement.
2. Anyone who has registered for or logged in to the Alumni E-Community is considered to be a member of the E-Community. Using the Alumni E-Community constitutes an implied business relationship with the University of Waterloo, and as such, we may send communications, including email, that we think may be of interest to alumni and other users.
3. Communication preferences may be updated at any time.
4. Members have the ability to set certain personal information fields of their profile to be "viewable" by others. Members can use the "View my public profile" button to see how their information will display to other E-Community members when someone finds them in the Alumni Directory.
Only the website, job title, and company fields that were set to "viewable" on members' profiles in the old Alumni E-Community were migrated to remain "viewable" in the new Alumni E-Community. All other contact information fields were made private by default. Members are encouraged to review their profile's settings to ensure they are set to reflect their preferences.
5. Unauthorized copying, reproduction, republishing, posting, transmitting or duplicating any of the materials on this site is prohibited. Inquiries are logged to deter misuse of this service.
6. Alumni may choose to share contact information in the directory for the purpose of staying in touch with friends and classmates. We do not tolerate alumni sending others email of a commercial nature, unsolicited email or junk email (aka SPAM), or “cold calls” (messages requesting business opportunities or job solicitation to alumni with whom they are not personally acquainted). Sending these sorts of emails will result in the termination of your access to the Alumni E-Community.
7. The "Contact this alumnus" feature allows members to send messages to each other via the Alumni E-Community. If a member has enabled the "Contact this alumnus feature" and has an email address on their profile, another member may send them a message via the system (the recipient's email address remains private). If a member has the "Contact this alumnus" feature disabled or does not have an email address on their profile, the submitted message will be routed to the Alumni Relations Office who will pass along the message, if possible.
The "Contact this alumnus" feature is enabled by default for members of the new Alumni E-Community, but can be disabled through "My Profile."
8. Information and web sites provided by members or through links reflect the personal and professional interests of the members themselves. They in no way reflect the opinions, interests or views of the University of Waterloo or its departments and faculties/university colleges. While the Office of Advancement attempts to reasonably ensure the accuracy of the information contained herein, the University of Waterloo is not responsible for any loss or damage due to use of this information.
9. The University of Waterloo reserves the right to delete, move, edit, refuse to post or take other appropriate action with respect to messages or information that is deemed to be offensive, unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane or indecent; any material containing a virus or other harmful component; or material that is threatening to other members of the University of Waterloo Alumni E-Community.